Thursday, July 9, 2009

Book Discussion Club

The post that included mention of a BOOK DISCUSSION CLUB has been getting lost in the shuffle... a few ladies have expressed confusion about where it is. (It was tagged onto the end of my post "Great Last Lines" posted July 3rd.) So I'm creating a separate post to continue discussing the possibility.

12 ladies have expressed interest so far - that's fabulous! If anyone else wants to join us, please leave a Comment, and your name will be added to the list.

Of course, next we need to decide WHEN, WHERE and HOW OFTEN we want to meet. (Since I read books fairly quickly, my preference would be a weekly meeting, but others might not agree with that.) POST A COMMENT WITH YOUR SUGGESTIONS. If you would be open to hosting the book club at your house, let me know.

We also need to decide WHICH BOOK we want to read first. There have been 3 suggestions so far:

"SHATTERED DREAMS" - This is not a fiction novel, like I first thought, but the book has gotten great reviews. I think it uses the book of Ruth, with emphasis on Naomi's perspective, to talk about challenges, disappointments and discontent. Julie Reagan said her group used it as a basis for a Bible study. In fact, there is a companion workbook available.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=565065&item_code=WW&netp_id=274738&event=ESRCN&view=covers


"EIGHTH SHEPHERD" - "The tax collector of Jericho, Zachai (Zacchaeus), is the most hated man in all Judea. Shimona, a former leper, is shunned by her community. And the Nubian bodyguard Salmon fears his young daughter will die. All three need the transforming touch of Yeshua, the Great Shepherd. Their stories unfold in this engaging novel. Includes historical maps and a discussion guide for individual or group study."

http://www.christianbook.com/eighth-shepherd-d-chronicles/bodie-thoene/9780842375290/pd/375290?item_code=WW&netp_id=570258&event=ESRCN&view=covers

"RED TENT" - "Skillfully interweaving biblical tales with events and characters of her own invention, Diamant's sweeping first novel re-creates the life of Dinah, daughter of Leah and Jacob, from her birth and happy childhood in Mesopotamia through her years in Canaan and death in Egypt." Read more description here:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Tent-Novel-Anita-Diamant/dp/0312427298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247161285&sr=1-1

DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER SUGGESTION? TELL US HERE, IN THE COMMENT SECTION. Provide a link, if you can.

Thanks!
~Janice

15 comments:

Judy said...

I am thinking once a month meeting would be best, especially when school begins. It might be fun to get volunteers to sign up each month to host so we can visit each other's homes and it would not be a burden on any one person having to host it every time.

Judy V. said...

I read the "Red Tent" several years ago and remember it being a good book.

Judy V. said...

I am hesitant to suggest any book I haven't read but this one sounded like it might be good. It retells the story of "Jacob and Esau" but the book is set in Scot1and?????

"Thorn in My Heart" by Liz Curtis Higgs

Does anyone know anything about this book?

Janice E. said...

That is an interesting book suggestion, Judy. I think I want to read it, whether we use it for the book club or not. You know I can't resist books set in Scotland! hehe

Here's a link for the book. Read the reviews at the bottom.

http://www.christianbook.com/thorn-my-heart-lowlands-scotland/liz-higgs/9781578565122/pd/6512X?item_code=WW&netp_id=294072&event=ESRCN&view=covers

Gayle said...

I think once a month is best to include us slow readers. Put me on the list of host. That is if ya'll don't mind coming out to the country.

Wanda said...

I also will be glad to host the book club...

Verett Life said...

I would really like to be part of this. Am I too late? It does depend on the time, but school starts soon and that will help. Just let me know. Love, Montie

cantwejustbechristians said...

I think it's a great idea. I would love to be a part of this and I will be more than happy to host.

Pat Mooney

Anonymous said...

This all sounds great!!! I would be glad to host, also. Sandra

Judy said...

I just got back from visiting Rudy and Linda Craddock in Charleston. They had just returned from Jubliee (It has a new name now but I can't remember what it was.) in Nashville and went to a class that discussed "The Shack." Rudy said it was a great book but you had to come out of your comfort zone. He said it really gave new insight into how we could see God.

Verett Life said...

I read The Shack, and the I would LOVE to reread it. It was wonderful. Yes you have to come out of your comfort zone like Judy says, but the relationship message is phenomenal. Good idea.

Mickey said...

I would like to be a part of the book club, and would be happy to host. Once a month sounds good. Mickey

Anonymous said...

A book club sounds great!

Cynthia said...

I am interested in the book club as well. "Shattered Dreams" sounds good but I am open to any book. I am also interested in hosting a meeting at my house.

Janice Enlow said...

According to Pat Mooney, her daughter's book club really enjoyed Karen Kingsbury's REDEMPTION SERIES. Here is a link to the first book:

http://www.christianbook.com/redemption-gary-smalley/9780842356220/pd/356223?item_code=WW&netp_id=277821&event=ESRCN&view=covers